Friday, May 18, 2007

It's SO good to be back.

Well ladies, have we got some major catchin' up to do! First things first... Many heartfelt thanks to you all for keeping us in your thoughts & prayers. I firmly believe its the wonderful out pour of prayers that have really lifted us and continue to keep us going. And thanks to my good friend Jenna for posting updates and keeping me busy and in-the-loop of real life outside of my house and hospital.

Now, for a quick (as quick as I can make it) catch up.

April 16th- I got home from work, plopped down on the couch to relax before starting dinner and I started bleeding. Freaked out, I called my OB and she told me to get to the hospital asap, she'd be there waiting for me. DH got home in record time and off we went to the hospital. We got stopped twice for speeding but pardoned once the police found out why. Once we finally got there, I was admitted to the Antepartum floor and we got to hear little one's heartbeat. That was so reassuring. The next morning we did and ultrasound and no source of bleeding could be found. I had stopped bleeding and was released that afternoon. But I was put on strict bed rest.

April 23- Exactly one week later, I started bleeding again. Back to the hospital we went. I was admitted again, we heard fetal heart tones, and the following morning during the ultrasound no source of bleeding could be found. AGAIN! So the only thing that we were told was that the placenta MIGHT have had a small separation from the uterine wall causing some bleeding, and because I'm on blood thinners for my blood-clotting disorder, that's what I was bleeding a lot. I was in the hospital for 3 days before the bleeding stopped and I was released. I was sent home with instructions to have a progesterone oil injection once a week to keep my uterus calm. And thank God, I haven't had any more bleeding since the 26th.


The first weeks of bed rest were horrendous! But now as time passes its getting a little easier. And now that I have a new lap top & wireless Internet I'm hoping this will help pass the time.


May 2- My sister went into labor. She had a wonderful delivery and baby Lucas Levi entered the world weighing 7 lbs. 4 oz. and 19 inches long. Mommy & baby are both doing well. And big brother Jacob (2 yrs old) is being such a big help.

May 3- I had an ultrasound with my Maternal Fetal Medicine Dr. (which I'll have to post pics a little later) just to see how we were progressing. The ultrasound went well and with much delight, my husband and I are so excited to announce that we now know what we're having, and......



drum roll please...







It's........

A........


It's a BOY!

We were so shocked, we were so sure we were having a girl. All my family & friends told us they thought we were having a girl too. We were totally surprised. Of course we're excited to know its a boy, but now we're clueless as to what his name is going to be. We had already picked out a girl's first & middle name, and hadn't even thought once about a boy's name... So now the search is on for the perfect baby boy name. I'm sure it'll come to us, it just hasn't yet. During the ultrasound he showed his little "package" it was the cutest little thing I've ever seen! We got a VHS video of the ultrasound, and invited my parents & in-laws over that evening to see it to share the news. They are so excited!

So now its known that God & and our little angel Erik chose a baby boy for us to have, and we couldn't be more happy.


So now to the scary stuff. We found out our baby's cord isn't inserted to the placenta correctly. The cord is being held to the placenta by the two arteries and one vein that run through the cord. Since the arteries & vein are not being protected by the cord at any point in time, the cord could rip free, which would end our pregnancy in fetal demise. So the plan is to be on strict bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy, I can get up to potty, and I get one 10 minutes shower and if and when we make it to 36wks I'll be having a scheduled c-section. Anytime I have an appointment, I am to be driven and I get around on a wheelchair. I don't mind, anything that will get this baby boy here safely, I'm willing to do.

So that's it.... My journey continues and every day I count my blessings because I know that we are so fortunate to have gotten this far. And every day that passes is another day closer to having our baby, and boy is he an active little one! I can feel him moving around and it is reassuring that its all gonna be ok...