Friday, July 13, 2007

3rd trimester: Nesting vs. Anxiety

I don't know which one it is... And its very possible it may be both. But I'm getting really anxious. Yes anxious-excited, but more of me is starting to feel anxious-nervous anxiety.

Monday will be my 13th week on bedrest, and the plan is to be here another 8 more weeks. So I haven't gotten a chance to see any baby items in the stores. Before I was pregnant I was anti-baby aisle in the stores, and when it came time to buying for my sister's or friends' baby showers I went straight for gift cards, or I'd shop the end caps. Anything to keep me away from the dreaded baby aisles. But now that it's me that is possibly having a baby (in less than 2 months) I'm freakin out. I don't have anything, and worse I can't GET anything myself. I want so badly to go to BBiesRUs for a shopping spree, but I know that's outta the question. I lay here in bed thinking all day about the the things we need before our little guy makes his big appearance and its overwhelming. Beside 2 packages of diapers and the little clothing my sis gave me (pics shown in a previous blog entry) that's all I have. That's It! I was so anxious Wednesday night I found myself still awake at 1:30am just thinking of the necessities we gotta get. So the next morning I told Richard to please go out and get us a... I think its called a "pack-n-play." It serves as a co-sleeper next to my bed, then it has a changing table attachment, and once the baby is a little bigger it can be a playpen. I just need somewhere safe to lay this baby down once he's home. And Oh, we also need a carseat, and hooded towels & wash cloths, baby shampoo! Oh gosh, I can go on & on... I'm tellin ya, I'm really getting nervous here. My mom is throwing our baby shower after our baby is here, and I was fine with that because I don't want to be laying down at my shower. But now that time is dwendling down, its putting pressure on me and I'm putting that pressure on my husband to get everything ready. He's working on the weekends on the baby's room, but I can't help him and I want to so bad... UGH, I didn't know it was gonna be so crazy. The baby isn't even here yet and I'm already losing sleeptime over this. My sister says I'm nesting. But is it still considered nesting when I'm physically laying here not allowed to get up and clean, shop and/or prepare my house for this baby? What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I was in your position (lying down position, LOL) during my pregnancy too and this is you need to do (if you don't mind my assvice). Register online if you didn't already. You can read reviews and look at various sites to find the best items. Register for everything because you won't really need that much the first few days. How long after the birth will the shower be held? Then have your husband go out and buy a select items from your registry and some clothes. You'll need a package or two of onsies, a couple sleepers, a packnplay or bassinet,sheets,a few blankets, carseat, a few washcloths and towels, and a swing or bouncey. Your husband can wash all the clothes and can you lay in bed and help fold them? That was actually fun for me. Also, you can start a scrapbook or baby book. i also started addressing my annoucement envelopes(didn't dothe announcements til after of course). Also,what about your hospital bag? I spent alot of timethinking about that and watching someone pack it. hope you can use some of these bedridden nesting ideas!!

Sharee said...

Great tips Candice ... while on bedrest, I also registered online. I took things a step further and actually ordered items from Walmart.com and amazon.com, too. Thankfully, we didn't have to buy much (crib, carseat, pack n play and one outfit) ... all our friends and family either donated or bought the rest of the stuff.

Trust me, after all you've been through, I have no doubt friends will bless you with a wonderful baby shower and they'll help prepare the house, too. I can relate to the disappointment of not being able to do all the things every mom-to-be yearns to do!

BTW ... can you believe that you only have 8 weeks left? I remember when you were just 12 weeks along! Boy time flies (even on bedrest)!

Hugs!

Nurse Lochia said...

You could check out if the hospital that you plan to deliver at to see if they have carseats. Unless you get a combo stroller/carseat, it's usually cheaper to get the hospital carseat. We have Graco carseats for $20 and they come with a base. I also agree with Candice and pick what you want online and send hubby out to get it.

Only 8 more weeks!? I know things have been hard this pregnancy, but once you hold that little baby in your arms, even if you get the worst news possible after the MRI, you see how perfect of a human you and your husband created and that will make up for all the time you guys lost doing the little (really big) things you mentioned. And I know that you know that. You guys should do a candle light dinner with some sparking grape juice, just for fun.

As for me, yes, I will admit that I have in fact checked my own cervix with my 2nd baby. I didn't with the spotting b/c I was afraid of what I might find. With my daughter, I was all about using all the resources I had availabe, like sonos. Someone offered to do a sono at 34 weeks and I declined for some reason. I think it was maternal instinct b/c if I had I would have seen her irregular HR, would have freaked out and it would have lead to a 34 week delivery instead of 36. So I've stayed away from offers for sonos, or listening to the HR this time, because I'm a nervous sort. But, I'm sure as I get close to due, I'll check myself. It seems weird to actually admit that :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the girls...online shopping for the necessities is the way to go. I would stock up on onesies and sleepers - as much as you are going to want to put him in cute clothes in the beginning - it really doesn't happen. You may want to get a few premie outfits for when people come to visit (newborns are always too small in the beginning). The pack and play is a great idea - I used it for the twins for the first 6 months!!!
I would get a few receiving blankets for swaddling (it really does help).

Personally - I would get a bouncy seat - you can hold off on the swing until your shower -

Car seat is a must. All these things can be bought online. What you can do is do your registry at babiesrus.com and then whatever you decide to buy beforehand - you can check off your registry so you won't get duplicates at your shower.

Some tips for the hospital bag....
your own shampoo/conditioner (hospital stuff stinks); soap; a bathrobe and slippers (or my favorite - slipper socks); OK - this is going to sound weird - but we are all about the honesty here - Granny panties - yes - granny panties - you will be more comfortable. And, again, at the risk of sounding gross - bring your own maxi-pads - the hospital usually has the ones that don't stick (the ones that used to be used with a belt - gross).

For the baby, a onesie and preemie outfit for coming home, a blanket and a hat.

Even though you are on bedrest, there is alot you can still do.

The eight weeks are going to fly by.

Also, I wonder if the babies-r-us has one of those mobility chairs - that you sit and zoom around in - maybe you can use that for an hour and go pick out some things you like at the store - is that possible?

OK - enough rambling. Get some rest!!!!