Friday, October 05, 2007

Pediatric Neurologist appt

Yesterday we drove 2 hours to Joey's appointment, and he slept the whole way there.

His Ped. Neurologist looked at the MRI images that we got when I was 30wks pregnant and compared them to the MRI images that were taken when Joe was in the NICU and said that there's a "phenomenal improvement." The dip in his brain is still there, but its significantly less than what it was. The six weeks in between the 1st MRI and the 2nd has made a big difference. He said that if we didn't have these images that we wouldn't be in his office because Joey's growing well and isn't showing any signs of being effected by this brain anomaly. So he told us he wants to see Joey again at 6 months to do a 3rd MRI to see if there are any more changes. And the best part, the part that makes me want to drop to my knees, is that he said he does not see Schizencephaly. Although Schiz. is not completely out of the picture yet; this improvement is such a big improvement that it just may be out of the picture soon. But for the mean time, he told us to continue to love and enjoy Joey but to continue to keep an eye out for seizure activity, just in case.

So over all the appt went well. But before we left Joey had to have blood drawn to see if he inherited the MTHFR blood clotting disorder that I have. It was so sad. The phlebotimist put a turnaquet (sp?) on his tiny arm and drew blood, and my poor baby screamed his little heart out. It was so hard to watch... I almost lost it. My husband couldn't bear to watch, he had to turn away, he couldn't stand to see him hurt like that. So now I know, Richard's definately going to have to go with me to Joey's 2 month appointment when he gets his immunizations, there's no way I want to go through that one alone.
Joseph weighed 7 lbs 5.9 oz and is 19.49 inches


Joey's 1st ride in his stroller
Exhausted, and on our way home
(with his little blue bandage)

5 comments:

Jaimie said...

I'm glad you got good news! I couldn't be there for any of Jake's blood draws in the hospital and only witnessed one of his shots (indirectly because I couldn't watch). It breaks your heart to know your baby is hurting!

How do you like the stroller? I didn't look at the seat very well to see which kind it is but I noticed the stroller. Ours is a different color but I love it. It is amazing how many people notice the clock/thermometer!

Jenn said...

I love love love to hear the updates and I am so happy that Joey's Neurologist appointment went so well. I smile everytime I read your blog!

Have a good one - and keep up the great work. MOMMY!

Brandy said...

That's amazing! I am so glad to hear all is well.

He is a little doll! What an absolute cutie you have there. :-)

Kirsten said...

What cute pictures and I am sooo happy about the good news! What a sigh of relief. I am so nervous about seeing the girls get their RSV vaccinations on Friday since they are IM shots...I know it'll break my heart but we've got to do it.
Have a great week!

Sporty said...

He is an absolute doll Jennie!

I am glad that you got good news at the appt. and that Joey is growing like he is.


Take care and I am looking forward to more pics of your little one!