Monday, March 12, 2007

Surgery went well

Thank you all so much for the support. I was so nervous, and knowing I had prayers and friends behind me made me feel so comforted.

The morning of the surgery I woke up late, of course, and had to rush out of the house. When we got to the hospital I was pleasantly surprised to see both my parents there waiting for me. They both came to be with me because they knew how nervous I'd be. It was nice to have them both there, my mom is so calming, and my dad is such a joke-ster it was nice to have my dad making me laugh, my mom to be reassuring and my hubby to be my rock. When it was time we said a quick prayer together, my daddy did the sign of the cross on my forehead, my mom gave me a tight hug and whispered a few words of encouragement, my hubby gave me an "I love you" look, kissed me, then kissed my belly and I was off to the OR. As I was wheeled off I was fighting back the tears in my eyes. I remember hearing the nurses talking about who got eliminated on Amer.ican Idol the night before, at first it was a little irratating because I was trying to pray. But then was a nice little distraction until I drifted off to sleep. It seemed like just a blink, and it was all over. My eyes opened and my family was there with warm smiles on thier faces, my hubby said, "Good Morning Sleeping Beauty." It made me smile, and let me know the worst was over. I was in the recovery room for a couple of hours, and then released to go home. I was so drugged, I don't remember the drive home or much more of that day. I slept the entire day away. Richard told me I talked to a couple of people on the phone but I don't remember who, or what I said... But either way I'm glad I did talk to Jenna and she posted a little update for me. (Thanks Jenna, you're the best!)

One the funny side. After the surgery was over, my RE talked to my family and told them that she had a nurse monitoring the baby while I was in surgery. She said with the anesthiesia the baby was relaxed, so relaxed he or she had his hands up by its head it looked like he was "just chillin'." She reassured them that baby's heartbeat stayed stable throughout the procedure, just that the baby was relaxing right along with me. She said she expected me (and baby) to recover well from the surgery.

The weekend went ok. I didn't do anything interesting, just rest, sleep, watch movies (Bor.at & Barn.yard) and both movies were entertaining. I slept a lot over the weekend. As far as how I feel... I'm relieved the surgery is done. It was such an important step, I feel like now we really have a chance at having a healthy pregnancy. More of a chance than I'd ever had before. Physically I feel well, not 100%, but well enough to return to work. I have take my time when going from a standing to a sitting position & vice versa, and I'm walking a little slower. ** TMI ** I lightly spotted pink on Saturday but by Sunday it was gone.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

I'm glad that is over with and now you can focus everything on your little one!! That is so cute that he/she was just hanging out, enjoying the relaxation of the anesthesia! I always love how it feels right before going under but then waking up out of it is such a pain in the butt.
I haven't even gone into Babies R'Us yet if you can believe that! I am just waiting to find out what we've got. I know I'd be so tempted to buy something so I'm just going to wait a few more weeks!
Oh, and it is really flying by for me, too. I remember when my friends were pregnant, it seemed like a whirlwind and now I can say the same. It's hard to believe I'm nearing the half-way mark soon. Kinda sad, even!! I'm trying to enjoy every moment of it and know you are doing the same :)
Feel better soon!!!

Sharee said...

Hey Jennie ... thanks for the comment you left on my blog. Such encouraging words!

I'm glad you're healing quickly and without drama. I got a cerclage very late in this pregnancy (21 wks, 4 days) and it's been more than 7 weeks without complications! These stitches are designed to hold!

Although you'll be returning to work, I hope you'll kick up your feet when you get home ... the job you're doing now (baby "baking") is the most important thing you'll ever do!

Hugs!

Sporty said...

I am so glad that the surgery went well Jennie and that you had your family there with you.

You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care!