Wednesday, January 10, 2007

IUI

Monday night I didn't sleep. My mind was so preoccupied with the thought of how this IUI was gonna be like, what's it gonna feel like, is it gonna hurt, but more importantly is it gonna work... I'd close my eyes and picture myself in the cold room, with my feet up in the stir-ups, legs draped with the pink paper sheet to preserve what little modesty I should have, but after 3 yrs of poking & proding, I don't have. I'd picture my sonographer Linda, standing at one side, and my husband at my other side... She has such a sweet calming voice, I really do like her. I wonder if the trigger shot really made me ovulate 7 eggs... Is she gonna be able to see my ovaries to tell me how many I ovulated... Is it possible even this far for this cycle for it to be cancelled if something isn't right... I wonder what my progesterone level is, I hope its high enough to do this IUI. I hope we don't have to do a 2nd IUI Wednesday... Thoughts just spinning in my mind, questions no one had answers for yet... I was nervous, but still so excited...

Tuesday morning we woke up extra early. Richard smacked the alarm, like he normally does, but remembered and blurted out, "Hey, today's the day!"
Yea. Like I forgot.
We got up, my eyes had 10 gallon bags under them, and we left out a little early just in case we ran into traffic. We got there to my RE's office. By that time, I was awake, ready with knots in my stomache. There's a line in the movie, "Riding in Cars with Boys" staring Drew Berry.more that says, "I knew when she was nervous, because she'd put on way to much make-up. It was like her war-paint she applied before the war." We'll that's me. By the time we got to the RE's office I looked Red Carpet ready. I turned for approval and asked Richard how I looked, and his responce was "Beautiful as usual." He's to sweet. Hell, he was probably thinking "like a 2 dollar whore" but I don't care. I looked Gooood. In the elevater he gazed into my eyes and told me how excited he was that today was the day we could become a family. I fought the tears back, as he held me & sealed it with a kiss. I was called in pretty fast and they took my blood. After that we were sent up 2 more floors so Richard could "give his contribution." This time, he went prepared. The last time he had to do that was in Oct. the morning before my surgery, and that's when we found out that the office wasn't equiped with any kind of visual aids. So this time, we made a special trip to the fun shop to get him a video. He loaded up his Ipod with the video, and I wished him luck, reminded him not to spill, and let him go. Last time I went in to "help" but ended up just making him nervous. So this time he was on his own. I sat in the waiting room and read a Sept.2006 magazine. Once the deed was done, we went for breakfast at the Kolache Factory (which I don't care for) and I began to try to drink the 64 oz. of water. I got about 1/2 way done and it was time to go back for the IUI.
Linda came in and started to do an ultrasound on top of my belly so see if my bladder was full. It wasn't. So I continued to drink water. After the 3rd cup she checked again and still, my bladder wasn't full. My belly was full, but not my bladder. So, Maryanne came in saying she could do the IUI without a full bladder, she had been taught to do it with an empty bladder unlike the other doctors. So we started. First the septum "duckie" was inserted, I hate that thing. It seems like it has to be really cold going in. UGH. Then she fed the cathetor up, it was a little uncomfortable and made me cramp. She asked if we were ready, and in they went. It was amazing! I didn't know what to expect to see, but it looked like a puff of white smoke the wiggly white lights scattering everywhere. Wow, was the only thing that fell out of my mouth. I'm so glad Richard was there to see that. Once it was over, she tilted the bed so my head would be down & hips up. Basically upside down. I have to say, that brought back memories of being in the hospital the week before I lost my baby Erik. They had me lay in that "lumbarder" position for so many days, the blood had been up in my head for so long that I had busted blood vessels in my eyes and a constant bloody nose. Yesterday I had to lay there for 10-15 minutes, so that was easy! During that time Richard held me and told me how proud he was of me, and how grateful he was that I'd do all this for us. Once it was all over, he took me home and went to work. RE said I could go back to normal activity, but Richard put me on bedrest. So I laid around all day, napped with I could, and watched daytime television. I'm glad I took the day off. I caught up on my sleep and it gave me a chance to really relax and allow myself to be nice to my body. For these next two weeks, I'm gonna work really hard to treat my body as if I was pregnant. I need to start drinking more water, and stop drinking so many drinks with artificial sweetners.


So today, I'm back at work. So far I feel fine. I did have some light cramping this morning but nothing to bad.

Jan. 26 is Test day. I haven't decided if I want to test before, like I normally do, or this time wait... I still have some time to think about it. So we'll see how that goes.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

You are so lucky you got to see the actual process!!! With both of my IUI's, they didn't use the ultrasound and my RE didn't even perform them, his assistant did (which kind of bothered me but I never spoke up about it). I did get to see the embryos go in with IVF and that was cool but I bet it was so neat to see the little guys swimming for victory!!!
I can't wait until January 26th now...I'll be keeping you in my prayers!

Jenna said...

Wooo Hooo!! It is over!! I really hope that this is it!!!! I am so hoping for twins!!! How awesome would that be!!! A shower for twins!!!!
I hope that this next two weeks goes by really, really fast.. I can't wait to see what it says when you POAS... you know you will. Besides.. I will be the little devil on your shoulder saying "do it, come on, do it.. you know you want to!"